Not "Bloody Bill",
                          . . . only "Uncle Billy"


The truth about William C. Anderson of Brown County Texas.


"There is no doubt that  William C. Anderson came from Stone County, Missouri to Brown County, Texas. The question has always been, when, and why would he tell a reporter he was the infamous "Bloody Bill Anderson"?

  A compilation of data and documents from many sources and from many dedicated researchers of which I have listed many here.



Biography of William Columbus Anderson of Brown County, Texas


*New evidence in the form of a land abstract, confirms that William C. Anderson was here in Brown County as early as 1859.


*Additional newly found evidence documents the three Anderson brothers, David, James Noble and William C., joined the Texas State Militia of the Confederacy during 1863 here in Brown County. Here



No part of any information or images on this web site, may be used without the express written consent of the webmaster.




[Home]            [Two Bill Andersons]   

 [Land Records]     [Photo Album]     [Genealogy]     [Conclusion]


In 1924, a newspaper reporter by the name of Henry Fuller interviewed an 84 year old pioneer settler of Brown County, Texas, by the name of William Columbus Anderson, also known locally as "Uncle Billy".
Uncle Billy was born in Missouri, the 7th of February 1840 and came to Brown County Texas in 1859 and again in 1863, along with his father, William M. Anderson, mother, Jane Scruggs Anderson, and brother James Noble Anderson. His Uncle Moses G. Anderson and brother David Q. Anderson had preceded them and had established homesteads prior to 1860.

The "windy" he told about being Bloody Bill Anderson of Quantrill fame, would haunt him until his dying day.



Henry C. Fuller doubted the story himself and tried to get help in trying to verify Uncle Billy's story. See the article here.


This dog-trot cabin, built by Bill Anderson still stands in a field across

from the Brownwood Airport. Built by 1860 to prove his land grant he filed for in 1859. Many early pioneers built these rough cabins until better housing could be built, they did not waste the structures, but turned them into barns for feed and storage. Brooks Lee, the old Ranger Captain's cabin , also still exists within the walls of his barn in Brookesmith, Texas. Building material was to hard to come by to waste.



William Columbus Anderson's Obituary in Brownwood Banner Bulletin, Nov 2, 1927.



2014 - Clay Riley



Newspaper announcement of William C. Anderson's death,

November 2, 1927, Brownwood Bulletin.

"Resident Since 1863"